Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mustang, Baby!

This weekend was Memorial Day and I finally got to go to the governor's wreath laying ceremony with D.  The ceremony honors all of the men and women from Ohio who have lost their lives in the war since last Memorial Day.  This is something he's participated in as a member of the military for many years but this year was the first time that I was able to go.  He wasn't there in any official capacity, so it was nice to be able to sit together and enjoy/be sad together.  The families of the fallen are there and they do a really nice job honoring them and their loved one that has passed. 

Other than that, the weekend was H O T.  I'm not complaining, oh no, I welcome the burns on my hands from trying to buckle the kids into their scalding hot car seats.  What I have a problem with is that our air conditioning stopped working.  Booooo!  This actually happened a few weeks ago and we told our landpeople (a term I prefer over landlords, they don't own me) and they gave us the "oh yeah we'll call someone but it'll probably be closer to the first of the month, blah blah blaaaah", and we were okay with that at the time because it was about 60 degrees.  Yesterday it was 94.  In my house.  At 10:30 pm.  Not okay anymore.  Someone is coming over tomorrow to look at it, and by "look at it" I hope they mean sprinkle it with magic fairy dust so it blows cold air into my face.  Probably not though.  We'll see.

Now, back to weekend activities... the Memorial Day parade was great!  Marching bands, lots and lots of veterans, Uncle Sam on a unicycle- C said "I think he lost his focus."  I agree 100%.  My FAVORITE part of the parade though was the group of people that we sat next to.  Ohh.M.G.  Rather than being really into the whole Memorial Day theme, they were really into the cars that were in the parade.  Like every time a mustang drove by they would all do this weird "yeah- mustanggggg baby!" grunt/cheer thing.  So strange.  My brother J was sitting the closest to them and this one woman in their group kept getting really really close to him.  At one point she had her hand about an inch from his face, D had a great time watching him try not to get a hand or ass shoved in his face.  Good times!  After the parade was over and we were walking home I saw them cross a busy four lane road and not hold any of their kids hands, the kids were maybe three and four years old.  Really quality people.

Big news- tomorrow C is getting her hair cut, and she wants it cut short, "not like a man"- her words, but shorter than it's ever been before.  This should be an adventure!  I'm taking her to the tree house in heaven, she'll love it!  Pictures to follow.

2 comments:

Amanda and Josh said...

I like "landpeople" better too! You are not a slave to them, except when its time to pay the rent, or have things fixed like your broken air conditioner. ;)

KB said...

Exactly! I'm only their slave on the first of the month when the rent is due. Other than that they are MY slave because they have to fix stuff when I call them... in theory.