Tuesday, July 5, 2011

J Eats Crabs... And Other Stuff About Vacation

This is the official Vacation 2011 Recap.  I'm not going to tell you where we went because it's a super-secret-no-tourists-allowed spot and I don't want the internets to ruin it with a bunch of pale people with fanny packs and teenagers cruising the strip.  If you really want to know send me a message and I'll probably lie and tell you a different place. 

Here's how it went down:
We drove this year because G is two now so I would have had to pay for a plane ticket for her (not happening).  I was a wee bit nervous about how the kids would do in the car but was pleasantly surprised, they were traveling champions!  We left here at 3:45 am and got to our beach house at 6 pm, and each of them napped for a mere half hour in the car.  I'm not even joking.  But it wasn't too bad.  Lots of rot-your-brain Disney movies and melted crayons all over the new car seats, but no crying so I'm willing to take that trade.

The kids ruining my car

G hated the sand (much like her Daddy) and it took the whole week to get her comfortable to walk from our beach tent down to the water.  She loved the water, it was walking through the sand to get to the water that she hated.  She spent a lot of time in a baby pool on the beach, it was her rinsing place when the sand became too unbearable.

G in her "safe place"

C is a beach nut and loved every minute of everything that had to do with being at the beach, especially boogie boarding with Grandpa.  My poor dad was ready for a vacation from the vacation by the time the kids were done with him.

Again, Grandpa!  Again!  Again!  Again!  Again!

Both kids loved the pool.  G had a floaty suit and could swim float on her own.  C is a great swimmer and spent most of  the week with blood shot eyes from diving for rings without goggles on.  G especially enjoyed shooting people in the eye with water guns.  I tried to tell her not to, but she looked so innocent when she pointed it directly at your face.

Take that, Uncle M

G found a pair of sweet aviator sunglasses in the ocean that just happened to fit me perfectly!  They weren't scratched or anything and I figure they hadn't been floating out there for very long so I hurried and stuck them in my beach bag before one of our beach neighbors could come claim them.  I wore them on the drive home and got the worst headache.  Why would these gorgeous aves give me a headache?  Because they're prescription sunglasses.  Karma is a nasty thing.  And I'm still going to wear them.

C modeling my gift from the ocean

We ate at our favorite restaurant, and one not-so favorite one where my brother J tried to show my other brother M that it was okay to eat that crab whole.  "It's a soft shell crab.  You can eat that thing whole."  After five minutes of crunching and a bit of bleeding in the esophagus he determined that it was not, in fact, a soft shell.  Woops. 

One thing I learned this week was that if you have long articles on Chinese foreign relations to read for a class that you're taking, don't drink my dad's Caribbean Punch (that has four shots of rum before I added more because it didn't taste strong enough) with lunch right before you try to read.  I woke up two hours later with my head on the table, a permanent scar in my cheek from my wedding ring, and still on the first paragraph.

The week was great, the kids and I had a great time.  We missed D but he was home making the money to allow me to buy expensive dresses at the Michael Kors store.  Thanks, D.  Also, I'm really happy to be able to shower alone again.  I showered with the girls twice a day for six days and it wasn't my fav.  I'm probably going to have to go to the cancer machine tanning bed to keep up my sweet tan, it's a sacrifice I'm going to have to make though because let's face it, fat just looks better tan.  Easier than going to the gym!  Happy summer, y'all!

2 comments:

dottie said...

The movies in the car? Lifesaver's, the less they talk the better. I feel terrible saying that but I can't help it. There is something about being in the car for long periods of time with children that just gets me.

Totally can't stop laughing about the sunglasses.

I also had to "shower with children". I hate "the stare". I just try and make it go as fast as possible.

Um, fat DOES look better tan. Same theory over here!

I'm so glad there are Mom's like me out there!! Loved it.

Terri said...

Considering everything, I'm very glad I didn't show up in this post!