Saturday, April 9, 2011

CD's and Politics

I haven't been able to blog this week because my computer has been acting funny, but I think we've got it under control.  I've taken on a project this week (yes, along with unpacking every single item we own from boxes, I felt that I needed just one more thing to do), copying all of my photos to CD's.  When the computer starting freaking out on me I kind of panicked because I don't have anything backed up.  Yes taxes and documents are important, blah blah blah... but what I was really worried about are all of these pictures!  They completely document my kids lives!  So that's what I've been doing for the past three days, super exciting.  Not.

The girls are adjusting really well to the new house.  They are still in love with sharing a room, and C practically begs to go to bed at night so she and G can have their "chatting" time.  They're pretty entertaining to listen to!  The only down side that I've found so far to the bunk bed (besides the fact that no adult can sit on the bed because you'll either hit your head or get a back ache from scrunching over) is changing the sheets... it's horrible!  Especially at 5:30 in the morning when it's been raining and someone pee'd the bed.  Not cool.  And yes, we're still doing the pee when it rains thing.

The big drama yesterday was the government shutdown fiasco.  We are a military family, and part of being in the military is being paid by the government.  If the government shut down, we wouldn't get a paycheck because they didn't pass a measure saying that the military would still be paid, and we wouldn't be able to go to the doctor because we have military medical insurance which would also not be funded.  It's really crappy, but that's the way it goes.  I'm upset about it, but I can accept it.  What I have a HUGE problem with is that they were going to stop paying the deployed troops.  These are men and women that have volunteered to leave their families and serve our country, they will still be fighting, they will still be wounded and killed, but they won't be able to pay the mortgage or buy groceries for their kids.  I asked D what he would do if he were deployed and we didn't get a paycheck, he said he couldn't even think about it because it made him sick.  We were glued to the TV until a few minutes before midnight when they agreed on a compromise and a shutdown was narrowly avoided.  I really hope we don't have to go through that again soon.

2 comments:

Amanda and Josh said...

So glad that the government pulled it off at the last second. Imagine how intense it was here, surrounded by only military families!!

KB said...

I can only imagine how intense it would be!