Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Showing Some Love

Yesterday (Monday) was Valentines Day, but D and I celebrated early on Saturday- date night!!!  C and G stayed at their grandma and grandpa's house for the night and D and I went out to dinner at McCormack & Schmick's (DELISH!) then to the movies to see The Fighter (I heart Mark Wahlberg).  It was a really fun evening and long overdue.  We're going to *try* to schedule a date night every two weeks.  We're starting a list of restaurants that we want to try... although some of them are in NY and LA... not sure how that will work on a random Thursday night out... hmmmm.

Yesterday the REAL Valentines Day was pretty crazy.  As you know, I had to make treat bags for C's class.  I got some really cute stuff (pink cups with hearts, heart pencils, heart erasers, candy, candy, candy) and the night before I started to lay everything out to assemble the bags.  The 25-count bag of treat bags only had 21 bags in it, and I needed 24 bags, so I was in trouble because at this point it was about 8:00 on Sunday night and the store was closed.  Yesterday morning I headed back out to the store to pick up another pack of bags, and they were all out!  I hurriedly picked up a different set of bags and rushed everyone back out to the car to assemble these last three treat bags before lunch and school.  I opened the pack and the bags were 24x27 inches- HUGE!  I ended up tearing the bags into misshapen squares and kind of wrapping them around the cups- so ugly. I feel bad for the kids that got those treat bags! 

Anyway, I lost track of time while I was fashioning my "bags" and when I finally finished it was 11:45 and C had to be at school in 15 minutes, and I hadn't fed the kids lunch yet.  I ran through Wendy's and ordered them each a cheese burger (no kids meal, no fries, just the burger) and milk and yelled at C to hurry up and eat while I drive because we were late for school!  She's in the back shoving the burger in her mouth and gagging because she was taking such big bites, it was horrible.  We get to school and we're running through the parking lot and C says "I'm still hungry, mommy!".... like a screwdriver to the heart!  We got her into school in time and I had a nice snack ready for her after school, but I definitely wasn't winning any Mother Of The Year awards!

Last night D took his girls (us) our for a V-Day dinner at Liberty Tavern... and it was kids eat free night, so we killed two birds with one stone!  We met D there after work, so he was still in his ACU's (uniform, for all you civilians), and he might as well have been Matt Damon, people were patting him on the back, shaking his hand, someone bought him a beer- crazy!  We've been there a million times, and probably 800,000 of those times D was in uniform, I guess people were feeling generous and patriotic yesterday.  An anonymous couple in the restaurant ended up buying our entire dinner and left us a note thanking D for his service, it was so nice!  All of the military love was just what he needed after a particularly hard day at work, and we're very thankful.  It was a really nice way to start the week!

Happy Valentines Day!

No comments: