Friday, February 4, 2011

Ice Ice Baby

Tuesday night I had a little run in with the mailbox.

It started out as a crappy day when I woke up with a stiff neck.  You know the kind when you can't turn your head to one side or look up or down without shooting pain.  Fun.  Anyway, school was cancelled for C because of a major snow/ice storm the night before and she was super grouchy, I was hurting, and the stiff neck was giving me a major headache.  The weather wasn't cooperating either, it continued to sleet all day, and as the day went on the temperatures dropped and we ended up with an inch of ice covering, well, everything.

D bathed C and G (that's usually his job), and we wrestled them to bed.  Just as we were tucking them in the lights flickered a few times and went out.  That was it.  The electricity was off for what would turn out to be the next 12 hours, and it was about 5 degrees outside.  So what would you do if the electricity went out?  Go to bed?  D decided to pay bills.    I had to go out to get the mail to be sure we had all of the bills in the house.  As I said earlier, EVERYTHING was covered in an inch of ice. 

Turns out, everything includes the mailbox. 

So after the day I had, and the headache, and the stiff neck, I decided to punch the mailbox.  A few times.  It worked, the ice broke, but I hurt myself.  Within ten minutes I had a huge bruise forming on my wrist.  It hurt on Wednesday, but it killed on Thursday.  I ended up spending three hours- my entire evening- in the ER just to have an X-ray and for them to tell me that it was not in fact broken, and punching a mailbox wasn't a wise choice.  Oh, and to ask me if I "feel safe" at home.  This made me laugh!

No comments: