Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter Is Here. NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

This week has been a rough one.  C is not adjusting to this deployment transition very well and she's making life at our house really difficult.  I'm trying to be extra patient with her (which for me is like most peoples zero patience level.... I'm not a patient person) and we started talking this morning about verbally expressing what emotions we're having- frustration, anger, sadness, anxiousness- rather than just going into meltdown mode.  Meltdown mode has been our baseline this week. Not cool.  I don't really know that her behavior is because of the deployment, she tends to be a little more up and down with her moods anyway, but I'm assuming this has something to do with it.

C's 6th birthday is coming up and my friend B posted a link to a living social deal on facebook for a ridiculously cheap birthday package at a local dance studio. I suggested it to C and she says, "no, I'm having a sewing party." Whaaaa????? What is a sewing party?? I'm imagining a bunch of five and six year olds (and one three year old, G) with needles. Does that sound fun to you? How many band aids would I have to buy for this party? I'm still working on changing her mind on this one. Although, B is an amazing party planner so if C does manage to convince me to go along with the sewing party I'm counting on B to help me decorate in a super cute needle and band aid theme. Wish me luck, both with her mood swings and with the birthday business.

In other news, it's snowing today.  Gross.  I'm not a fan of winter and all her cruel jokes, like snow and ice and wind that cuts your face off.  There is nothing worse than walking around one of the largest colleges in the US when it's 7 degrees.  You think you'll duck behind a building to escape the blowing snow and then BAM you walk into a wind tunnel.  It's just not my cup of tea. You should see what I wear to my classes, I will wear anything to stay warm, I don't care what people think of me.  Jeans tucked into snow boots with a sweatshirt circa 2002?  Yup!  Mittens, neon green scarf and an umbrella to block the wind when it's not even raining?  Sign me up!  Looking nice... or just normal... is not a priority for me in the winter, a big apology to all of my fellow students who are forced to see me every day.  I'll try harder in the spring.  Maybe.

No comments: