Saturday, January 7, 2012

Let's Bring This Up To Date, Shall We?

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, blah blah blah blahhhhhhhh.

It's been far too long since I've blogged, I missed Christmas and New Years and here we are, well into January.  Let's just say I've been a bit, um...busy.  Here's a little taste of what's been happening in my life the past month.

1. School.  Going into finals I was sitting with a D average in one class and pretty sure I was going to do about the same in my *&%$ foreign language, too.  I had a FIFTEEN PAGE paper to write (I'm not as young as I used to be and those papers don't come flying out of my ass like they used to) and finals to take.  I asked for an extension on my paper and got it, I didn't have to turn in my paper until after the final.  Yay for me.  Then came the day of my finals and......

2. The car accident.  See below.

Just FYI, my car is the one that isn't the Mercedes SUV.  In case you were wondering.

On my way to take my finals a Russian mail order bride smashed into me and ripped my engine in half.  The car was totaled and I had to go to the hospital for xrays and stuff.  So we were down a car and I had a sprained wrist and burns from the airbag, and I had to reschedule all of my finals.  I'm soooo glad I didn't have the girls with me, I would have had to throw down with the Russian.  I did end up the quarter with A's and B's, though, so I'm happy with that.

3.  Christmas, and all that goes along with it.  It was a great Christmas, I have zero pictures because I needed a new camera and refused to continue taking crappy pictures with my old one.  I really showed the old camera who's boss, it sat on my desk and I have no photos.  Fail.  We all got everything we wanted and more, although I'm pretty peeved that C tells everyone her favorite gift was the teddy bear.  Of course this bear was an afterthought and cost me $4 at Target two days before Christmas.  Of course her favorite gift wouldn't be the beyond expensive American Girl doll (with accessories) that she asked for for months.  But whatever, Merry Christmas and enjoy your $4 bear.  I got my new camera, tons of shoes (all of which I needed...ish), a new laptop and much more.  We were very blessed.

4. NYE.  Every year we have a princess party for the kids on NYE.  We started this tradition three or four years ago when we realized that we coulnd't find a babysitter and it would probably be years before we could go out and party again, we might as well have some fun with the kids.  The king (D) makes a delicious fancy dinner (fish sticks and peas, gag) for the princesses while the queen (me) helps them get dressed and puts makeup on them... this is a huge deal.  Then I announce their presence to the king and he serves them a candlelit dinner with milk in wine glasses.  It's very fancy.  After they go to bed we make a really good dinner for ourselves and watch a movie (think Super Troopers) then watch the ball drop.

This year was a little bit different, though.  We did the princess stuff for the kids, but niether one of us was much in the spirit of celebrating because....

5. We started the deployment.  A couple of days after our NYE celebration D left.  Needless to say, it was a very hard day filled with many tears.  He'll come home on leave at some point, but won't be home for good until this time next year.  We've had a tough week, some days are better than others, and some minutes are better than others.  This is not our first deployment as a married couple, but our first since we've had kids.  It's a very different experience with the kids, not harder or easier, but different.  We're making it through, though.

The night he left I was so tired, I didn't sleep at all the night before and had cried off and on all day, I was physically and emotionally exhausted.  I poured myself a nice healthy glass of red wine and sat down on the couch with my brand new laptop.  You see where this is going.

6.  The laptop drank the wine.  It was ruined.  I was hysterical.  D was on a layover and I was able to text him and tell him what happened, I think I managed to accurately portray my hysterics in the texts because he texted back with "Love you, don't stress.  Buy a new one right now, I don't care how much it is."  This is not a phrase normally uttered by a husband, 'Buy a new one right now, I don't care how much it is', and I didn't ask questions.  I ordered a new one immediately and it was shipped next day and I'm typing on it now.  There will be no liquids within a ten foot radius of the laptop at all times.

That brings me to today.  My friends and family have been amazing this week.  My bestie R came over the day that D left (which was her birthday) with wine, Oreos and kleenex.  You really can't ask for more than that.  I can't thank her enough for giving up her birthday to cry with me.  My parents and R have watched the girls about a million times in the last five days, my neighbors have brought us dinner and a coconut cream pie- holla!, and taken my trash to the curb on trash day, and my good friend B had us over for a playdate and dinner last night.  I'm very lucky to have a great support system, something that many people don't have.

I'm going to try really hard to keep up with my blogging this year.  I've really slacked the last couple of months and I need to keep it going, it keeps me sane and I need an outlet for my bitterness and sarcasm.  I'm not going to post my blog entries to facebook anymore because I don't want everyone in the facebook friend world knowing what's up with my business (pronounced bidness) so you'll have to take it upon yourself to get off your lazy butt and read without me spoonfeeding it to you.  Sorry. 

Peace out, and happy Saturday.  Now let's watch some NFL.

3 comments:

A.P. said...

AWESOME JOB on the grades my love. You worked your keister off. I knew the accident was bad, but ooof. I hate pictures of accidents, SO SCARY. But I know you're taken care of now and verrrrry safe :) I'd still like to be on the list of hanging out/babysitting/dinner/whatever. love you all.

dottie said...

Sucky. I'm sorry you had to and are going through all this. Boo.

I'm so glad you do have that support system!

Uh, that car accident looks so scary. Russian mail order bride, dying. Literally dying.

I'll keep that wine story in mind next time I try to play drunk scrabble on the ipdad. Yep, I do that. It's not easy either. It's like the wine battles your brain the whole time. Ha, ha. Not sure why I even try.

Anywho, glad your back. I've missed your blogging self.

dottie said...

"ipdad" = iPad

No, not currently drunk.