Monday, January 9, 2012

I'll Kill You, Skype.

No seriously, I will.

After the old computer drank the wine and I got the new one up and running D and the girls and I were all ready for some good old fashioned family Skyping.  Skype was working great on the old-new computer, we tested it out before he left, so it should work right on the NEW-new computer, right?

Wrong.

I get a stupid Windows error message every time I log in, and then the system closes.  Every time it happens I get all worked up and mad and end up eating a bunch of chocolate covered cherries.  Not cool, Skype.  Not cool.  I decided today was the day that we figure out why my computer and Skype are fighting. 

I have a membership to a super secret members only technology club (called AT&T tech support) so I called them.  They took remote access of my computer, and probably stole all of my bank account numbers, and worked on it for two and a half hours.  They ran every scan known to man and they say my computer is good to go, it's a Skype issue. 

I sort of find this hard to believe because it worked on the exact same wine computer, but whatev.  I actually felt bad for Gil, the AT&T guy.  The conversation (via online chat) went something like this:

Me-  Thanks for spending so much time working on it.

Gil-  I'm so sorry I've failed you, Mrs B.

Me-  It's ok, I'll take it up with Skype I guess.

Gil-  We tried our hardest and failed.

Me-  Seriously, thanks for spending so much time on it, I really appreciate it.  It's going to be ok.

Gil-  Sometimes even when we do all we can, we still are failures.

Me-  For real, Gil.  Thanks.  Please don't hurt yourself.

So after I talked Gil down off the ledge I went on and downloaded an older version of Skype that appears to be working.  If not, you'll hear my screams of aggravation later when D and I try to Skype.

On a lighter note, tomorrow marks one week since D left.  Every week that he's away is one week closer to coming home, so I'm happy to mark another day off of the calendar!  Bring on Tuesday! 

Seriously, though, Skype really needs to work.  Enough is enough.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm...I wonder if you could find Gil & be facebook friends, I do feel bad for him. Stinking skype!