Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Here's how my day went.....

I sent this email this morning, I thought I would share.  Names and identifying info have been left out, for obvious reasons...

Dear Instructor of Terrible Class,

After attending the first session yesterday of your class I promptly made an appointment with my advisor to find another class. After speaking with my advisor, she encouraged me to email both you and your department chair to share why I decided to drop your class. I have copied your department chair on this email.

My concern with you as an instructor began when you chose to teach the first class without wearing shoes or socks. Although I have had numerous instructors that were more casual, none have taken it quite to that level of unprofessionalism.

The lack of shoes and socks were not my greatest concern, however. That came when you asked who in the class is a graduating senior, I was the only one to raise my hand. You proceeded to tell me that you weren't "trying to be a dick", but that if I weren't successful in your class you would keep me from graduating.  Dear Instructor, I am well aware of the standards of this university, and am well aware of how well I must do in my classes to graduate. I am a mother of two young daughters, my husband is deployed with the Army in Afghanistan, and I have maintained a 3.6 GPA while single parenting and attending classes full time as a non-traditional student. I am not afraid of hard work. While you might have been trying not to be a "dick", your vocabulary and lack of professionalism proved otherwise.

I truly hope that you don't think that the workload in your class caused me to reconsider. I am a Political Science major, all I do is read, I was not intimidated by the amount of reading you assigned. It was your attitude and lack of professionalism that caused me to drop the class. I have never encountered an instructor such as yourself during my time at XXX University. I am quite sure that this is not the standard that our university tries to uphold.


Best,
KB

OH YES I DID.

2 comments:

A.P. said...

senior summer school--ain't no rest for the wicked! and, uh, that guy is TOTALLY a dick

Terri said...

You go, girl!